This was one of the questions I googled most over the span of several days. Long story short, I wound up not adding font to an object, but adding objects to a 3D font (object).
Inserting text is hard, and it’s hard to make objects move around *with* the text in ways that make sense, particularly if you’ve done some crazy scaling shenanigans to make the text fuzzy like described in http://girlcodeitblog.com/2016/04/06/font-scale-and-transform-position/.
I wound up creating a 3D text object (under GameObject > 3D Object > 3D Text [all the way at the bottom]), doing said shenanigans, then utterly failing at adding a background color for the text. This failure resulted in:
- giving up and creating a 2D sprite of a blank white rectangle
- dragging that in as a child object of my 3D text
- scaling the child object to be the right size as background for the text
- creating a material for the right color
- dragging that onto the child object
- futzing with directional lighting and material color emissions to make the color actually be what I want in the game context (http://girlcodeitblog.com/2016/04/05/materials-can-be-annoying/)
This does not feel like the simplest way to achieve this, but it’s working for now.
(#todo go back and find some of the resources I used to answer it)